The F-Gas category IV course is the minimum legal F-Gas qualification required by all RAC operatives who carry out leak checking on RAC & HP systems containing more than 3kg FGas or ODS, and who report refrigerant leaks for investigation and repair by a suitably qualified (category 1) technician. You will learn about the different refrigerants, however this course does not include safe handling of refrigerants.
If you are not familiar with refrigeration science and principles, or function of components in the vapour compression system or Pressure Enthalpy (pH charts) we recommend you attend the 5 day course where greater knowledge and practical training will be provided.
Duration: (contact us for a self assessment form to identify the duration you require)
- Re-assessment (1 day course)
- Maintenance technicians working in the industry (2 day course)
- Novices and inexperienced technicians working in the industry (5 day course)
The City and Guilds course does not have an expiry date, the Construction Skills certificate is renewable every 5 years.
You will be provided with pre-course reading to aid your learning prior to arrival.
- Assess system performance by using system information
- Identify potential leak points
- Carry out leak checks
- Maintain FGas log books
- Identify hazards associated with refrigerant release
- Identify basic standard ISO language & units used in RAC
- Identify the causes and effects of global warming and climate change
- Identify causes and effects of ozone depletion
- Identify stationary refrigerants, air conditioning and heat-pump system leakage risk
- Identify the hazards and safe working practices for the leak checking of stationary refrigerant, air conditioning and heat-pump systems
- Undertake leak checking
- Undertake correct record keeping
- Comprehensive practical test (2hrs)
- On line multiple choice theory test (35mins)
- closed book
- 16 questions
Upcoming course dates